Thursday, September 13, 2007

Smoke in my eyes

Isn't that a saying or something? They are doing a controlled burn in my city and the smoke is awful! I'm sitting at my computer and my eyes are burning, we have a return air something or other in the building so there is always fresh air coming in. Except today the fresh air isn't too fresh. We usually get some elderly people writing in to the newspaper about how the smoke is bad for their health, blah blah blah. My response to that - If you would prefer, we will stop the controlled burns just for you and then when the city burns to the ground because the forest was taken over by drought(10 yrs people! we are dry!) and bark beetles, do NOT come crying to me!

I'm a leader at my church's high school group and last night one of my girls told me she is having a real hard time in English. So with her permission and her parents, I'm going to start tutoring her in English. Wow, it has been a long time since I've done freshman English, but I know she needs help and so far no one has really tried to help her, just threaten punishment if she doesn't do better. That seems so wrong to me. I guess that's my inner teacher (studied but didn't finish the education degree) crying out to protect and help the kids, not punish them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on...It's awesome that you've signed on to help her! Best of luck!